Monday, October 16, 2006

The Donut Shop (Part I)

Some other goodies that I found this weekend include:

Dilla Says Go: Trammps - "Rubber Band". 1972. Buddah Records. Also the sample for The Game's "Hate It Or Love It". Suburb's favorite Donut. And for good reason. This record is sick as all hell. From The Legendary Zing Album. Again, I've yet to find it so I'm stuck with another 45 but oh well. It'll hold me over. The Trammps are responsible for some of the most terrible disco ever. And have some ridiculous gems as well. Go figure.





Hi: The Three Degrees - "Maybe". 19??. Longitude Music Co. Originally formed in Philadelphia in 1963, The Three Degrees were one of those groups that kept up with the times. They started with gritty, straight-ahead soul, much like this cut, and transitioned through disco, pop and more. They're still together today. This donut barely counts, if at all. Its a reissue from Collectables. This is hella fake. But I got it. The b-side is the funky "You're The One" (DOPE FUCKING BREAK 3/4 of in). Also one of the group's earlier recordings, I beleive it features all of The Three Degrees' original members, Fayette Pickney, Shirley Porter, and Linda Turner.

Glazed: Gene & Jerry - "You Just Can't Win (By Making The Same Mistake)". 19??. Mercury. The intro is the shit. The rest of the song is very straight-ahead soul much like that of Sam and Dave's more popular stuff. A great cut. Gene Chandler and Jerry Butler's One & One is still M.I.A. from my collection but my eyes are open. Dilla went on to use another Jerry Butler joint for another wonderful donut (see below).




U-Love: Jerry Butler - "Just Because I Really Love You". 1968. Mercury. Gamble & Huff strike again. This record is ridiculous. Jerry Butler, who dubbed his self "The Iceman" showed his ass on this one. The piano and brass really takes the lead in parts, and although Dilla didn't do anything too avant garde with this record, its an example of the man's great ear. This, like Joe Simon's "It Be's That Way Sometimes" and David Porter's "The Masquerade Is Over" have become bigger for me than the songs that used them. Taken from "The Iceman Cometh".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home