Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Diggin' In Somebody Else's Crates

So among all of the other gems that I picked up at Rooky Ricardo's last weekend, I purchased a 5-disc set of rare 45s compiled, in appropriate groupings, from less-than-famous soul, r&b and rock singers of the 50s and 60s. The discs are: Girls On The Edge, R&B Girls, Soul Girls, Classic Girl Group Sounds, and Teen Trauma.


I've only made it through Teen Trauma and Girls On The Edge but so far, its super dope. "I Won't Be Your Fool Anymore" by The Gibralters is my new song right now. I'm eager to hear what Soul Girls sounds like. With groups like Teacho & The Students, I'm sure that I'm in for a treat. These cuts, although all rare and void of any reknown, are all equal to or better than the songs that I grew up listening to from the same era. It is a great indication of how tough it can be to break a group of any kind, and a good lesson that even some of the dopest records ever never really grow their wings.


It put a lot in persepective. I know that DJ Shadow has talked about mountains of records and the realization that anything you ever put out will eventually add to the millions of crappy records out there, but this is a good look at the other side of that. A reminder (not that I really needed one), that although I've got favorite artists and niche genres and whatnot, there is still plenty for me to discover out there. I'm looking forward to this weekend as I'll be spending one full day, (or at least most of it) at Rooky's. I think there is a lot of untapped potential for me to find things there. I want to knock some of it out this week.


If you get a chance, swing by Rooky's and pick this up. It's $40 for the 5-disc set or you can by them individually for $10 each, without the cool little case. Makes a great gift. Also slices and dices and folds laundry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home