Monday, March 05, 2007

Honey Cone - "Want Ads"

Okay... so The Honey Cone were Holland, Dozier and Holland's Mary Jane Girls or Vanity/Apollonia 6. They were a trio from the late-60s early-70s who had some seriously funky pop/soul songs on Hot Wax Records which was was being run at the time by Eddie Holland. People have called them the female answer to The Jackson 5. I don't think its the worst comparison in the world. They had uptempo tracks with emphasis on the rhythm section and guitar parts - chicken grease pre-"chicken grease".

I got hip to them indirectly. I'm the first to admit that I'm not the most seasoned music listener or record buyer, but I'll definately hunt some shit down once I discover it. This is how I came to find Honey Cone. I am a big fan of Googoosh who is this once-ill, now-eh Iranian pop diva who performed dope, pre-revolution funky material in Farsi, English, Italian and more. I found her cover of "Want Ads" and did about 20 seconds of due dilligence before I fell in love with the original. I've gotten some more Honey Cone stuff including "Stick Up" which is a similar upbeat romp through chicken grease guitar and strong r&b backbeat. Super cool stuff. Here's the Googoosh cover for your listening enjoyment:

So anyway, check out Honey Cone and pretty much anything H,D,H did. There is some good information on Honey Cone here, if you're interested. And wikipedia is always a good look. I guess they sunk into the realm of obscurity after being a succesful backing group for some of the more popular motownesque girl groups of the early-mid-70s. Buddah re-released some of the group's more popular songs in the mid-80s as well. History is fun. I'm still hunting down any and all Googoosh vinyl. If you come across it, holler.

2 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger flwrpt. said...

Doooooope! I've never heard of these chicks at all man.

Thanks for puttin' this out there.

Man...

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Dom. I Dig. said...

glad to be of help. finding much lately?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home