Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Three For Love

Rufus - STREET PLAYER, "Destiny". So I put out this record last year called MOONLIGHTING by Tanya Morgan. It's a dope indie hip-hop record. I can't lie. I really like it. Mad charisma on it and shit. Produced entirely by the group's own Von Pea (aka The Beatmaker) and Brick Beats. Brick did a cut called "Ode 2 Tanya" which I'm particularly fond of. It's a holler-at-a-chick record with a twist - the guys all hate on one another in the process. It's brutal. The melodic backdrop comes courtesy of Rufus and the incomparable ms. Khan. I had had some trouble locating this one. Too much MASTERJAM and RAGS TO RUFUS to sort through, I guess. I found it though. It's such a nice cut. Pick it up if you can. The rest of the album is okay. Nothing as memorable as their big hits or "Destiny", but nice all the same.

Don Blackman - DON BLACKMAN, "Holding You, Loving You". The joint? Hell to the yes. You've heard it. And you've found it on your 1980s Soul Compilations, but haven't seen the album it came from. That sucks for you. The whole album is bananas. In the same vein as Bernard Wright's 'NARD which I just picked up and Tom Browne's classic "Funkin' For Jamaica". By the way, Browne's "Midnight Interlude"? Oh my god. I gotta step this blog up a bit and include links to this stuff. If nothing else, just so I can link my damned self.


Bobby Caldwell - "What You Won't Do For Love" heart-shaped 10". An audio classic. Now a collectible. I found this guy for pretty cheap at GROOVES in San Francisco the day after Valentine's day. I probably got caught up in the moment, but I copped. I love Bobby though. Obviously "The Light" was cracking a few years ago, but he's got more shit that's been used too. "My Flame" was Biggie's "Sky's The Limit", "What You Won't Do For Love" was The Luniz "Playa Hata" and probably about 20 dozen more joints. I don't know. Bobby is one of those enigmas, to me. I wasn't really UP on him until after the fact, but he seems so quiet-spoken. He plays a lot of jazz festivals and whatnot. Like, hippified suburban white folks just beyond their mid-life crises will drive up to a river and watch Bobby belt out his three greatest hits ever summer. And then I imagine he just goes home and chills for 11 months. I have no idea though. He's someone I'd love to meet. He and Boz Skaggs. SILK DEGREES is fuckin' banging' yo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home