Thursday, March 08, 2007

R.I.P. Johnny Angel

My life's passion right now is the donut hunt; collecting samples that Dilla used during the course of his life - focusing on, but not being limited to the DONUTS album. I've had the 2 songs that he flipped from UK rock group 10cc, but not in "donut" form. I've now got the soundscape for "Waves" in Donut Box-ready format and I'm super excited about it. I found this picture-sleeve pressing online and when I came home today, it was sitting, waiting for me. What joy!

I must say, I'd hit some roadblocks in my donut hunt but as it stands right now, I'm actually faring quite well. I've got somewhere between 15-20 donuts on 45 with some great leads on more. And I'm expecting Motherlode's "When I Die" any day now.

I've come across so many records in the last year, but I will say this. The fine people at Blue Meanie in Dallas, TX seem to take great care of their records. The plastic and paper sleeves, as well as the record itself are in amazing condition. The significance of this? However subtle it may be, a clean record gives a cleaner sound than a dirty record. This is by far, the cleanest used record I've ever seen. It's so clean it's cleaning other parts of my apartment right now. Just playing it reorganizes my books and junk mail. I think the bathroom is sparkling more than usual too.

Although "Waves" is not my favorite Donut, "Johnny Don't Do It" is a dope cut, for real. And Dilla chopped the hell out of it. Seriously. He spiked 10cc's punch on this one. "Johnny Don't Do It" can be found on just about ALLLLLLLLLL of the group's greatest hits releases, so if you want an easy find, there you go. If you're looking for a 7" version of the song with picture sleeve, that was printed and distributed in Holland, beleive me... its a tougher find.

5 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger flwrpt. said...

Okay...WAVES is "Johnny Don't Do It"...but that's just the vocals right? Which track did he get the melody from? Is it on that same record?

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Dom. I Dig. said...

As far as I know, "Johnny Don't Do It" is the only record used for WAVES. He just chopped the hell out of it a la "Don't Cry" and made the melody with the vocal parts and probablylaid bass and drums and called it a day. I could be wrong, but I think its just "JDDI".

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger flwrpt. said...

peep my shiznit homie...
make sure to go back to FEB to catch the start of all the posts...

http://www.flwrpt.com/blog

peace!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger E said...

this place needs an update or something...

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger E said...

this place still needs an update... slacker. then again, maybe we need to go diggin first, so you have a reason to update.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home