Monday, July 09, 2007

Back In The Swing Of Things

So since we last caught up, I've moved apartments, have acquired my Brother's collection, spent the 4th of July digging at two of my favorite spots in the bay area, and acquired a LARGE portion of DJ Derrick B's collection (thank you, brother). I also bought some cool magnetic clips that i can hang my records from on the fridge for their photo shoots... oh, and I have sleeved 1,500 of my soul records for protection. On to the records...

THE ISAAC HAYES MOVEMENT. Isaac Hayes. I've seen it in stores every visit for the last 10+ years. Buying it at 50% off when it's tag reads "$2.95" was the way to do it. Man, it sounded good on mp3, but listening to the album the whole way through? Wahwahweewah. His cover of Harrison's "Something" makes you wonder if Harrison had a good idea but just couldn't come close to pulling it off. I'm convinced that this is how Harrison intended the song to sound. If not.... he should have. Hayes has an obvious mystique about him. Lord of soul, conducter of funk epics, etcetera. But when you wash all that away, the music really stands up. Seriously... check this out. He makes bad good and good better. And as far as my collection is concerned, this is the best peice in it. Perhaps that will change as I own more, but my expectation is that this will remain the crown jewel atop my Isaac Hayes Crown.


MIDNIGHT LOVE AFFAIR. Carol Douglas. First off, kudos to Adam of Lost Role Models for doing the right thing and handing this over to me while we dug on Independence Day. I let you get away with the Jaggerz and appreciate you letting me walk with this. Title track? Bananas. "Headline News"? Super ill type break. And A2 has a drum break that is just bonkers. I grew up despising only two music fields: disco, and the musical works of Mr. Prince Rogers Nelson. Around the age of 18, the epiphany train struck me dead and I managed to see Prince's catalog for the brilliance that it is. It hasn't been until recent years that I've managed to find my way through the weeds that are "YMCA", "I Will Survive" and "Shake Shake Shake" that I've found the flowers of Carol Douglas, and innumerous disco greats. I guess the fact that I'm still discovering much of the genre's works bodes well for me. Hooray for still having plenty to learn.

TOO HOT TO HANDLE. Heatwave. So about that cheesy, weedy disco... "Boogie Nights" by Heatwave has never been among my favorites. Its grown on me a tad in recent years and mixes well with Michael Jackson's "Off The Wall" which I believe it may have even inspired. Both songs were written by the legendary Mr. Rod Temperton. He wrote ALL of TOO HOT... and a flurry of hits for MJ in the years to follow.

When I found (doubles of) TOO HOT TO HANDLE in Derrick B's old crates, I was thrilled. Why, you ask? Could it be because it has the full version of "Always And Forever" with the shrieking falsetto finale? It probably could. But it honestly wasn't. It was because of a little ditty called "Ain't No Half Steppin'" which went on to inspire another song a decade later called... you guessed it: "Ain't No Half Steppin'" by Big Daddy Kane. Small world, ain't it? Now you can impress your friends when you play six degrees and want to hop from MJ to "Boogie Nights" in one move. Liner notes are a man's best friend.

1 Comments:

At 7:05 AM, Blogger flwrpt. said...

DOM!

What's up man...

Yea you're right, I have to UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!! lol...my digi cam broke and I've been busy at work, so time has just gone by right before my eyes man...but I am dropping new stuff on August first, for sure. I have a ton of new records that I've picked up during my hiatus...good ones!...great ones!

About this post, I've seen this Isaac Hayes record almost EVERY time i'm diggin, I never listen to it or pick it up at all, why? I have no idea...but I'll trust your judgement and when I go diggin today I'll check it out...

Peace!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home